Brand Name: Zithromax
Pregnancy Category B
Drug class: Macrolide antibiotic
Bacteriostatic or bactericidal in susceptible bacteria.
· Treatment of lower respiratory tract infections: acute bacterial exacerbations of COPD due to H. influenzae, Moraxella catarrhalis, S. pneumoniae; community-acquired pneumonia due to S. pneumoniae, H. influenzae
· Treatment of lower respiratory tract infections: streptococcal pharyngitis/tonsillitis due to Streptococcus pyogenes in those who cannot take penicillins
· Treatment of uncomplicated skin infections due to Staphylococcus aureus, S. pyogenes, Streptococcus agalactiae
· Treatment of nongonococcal urethritis and cervicitis due to C. trachomatis; treatment of PID
· Treatment of otitis media caused by H. influenzae, M. catarrhalis, S. pneumoniae in children > 6 mo
· Treatment of pharyngitis/tonsillitis in children > 2 yr who cannot use first-line therapy
· Prevention and treatment of disseminated Mycobacterium avium complex (MAC) in patients with advanced AIDS
· Unlabeled uses: uncomplicated gonococcal infections caused by N. gonorrhoeae; gonococcal pharyngitis caused by N. gonorrhoeae; chlamydial infections caused by C. trachomatis; prophylaxis after sexual attack
· Contraindicated with hypersensitivity to azithromycin, erythromycin, or any macrolide antibiotic.
Dizziness, headache, vertigo, somnolence, fatigue, Diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea, dyspepsia, flatulence, vomiting, melena, pseudomembranous colitis, Superinfections, angioedema, rash, photosensitivity, vaginitis
· Decreased serum levels and effectiveness of azithromycin with aluminum and magnesium-containing antacids
· Possible increased effects of theophylline
· Possible increased anticoagulant effects of warfarin
Interaction with Food:
· Food greatly decreases the absorption of azithromycin
· Culture site of infection before therapy.
· Administer on an empty stomach--1 hr before or 2–3 hr after meals. Food affects the absorption of this drug.
· Counsel patients being treated for STDs about appropriate precautions and additional therapy.