Brand Name: cefuroxime axetil, Ceftin, cefuroxime sodium, Kefurox, Zinacef
Pregnancy Category B
Drug classes: Antibiotic, Cephalosporin (second generation)
Bactericidal: inhibits synthesis of bacterial cell wall, causing cell death.
Upper and Lower Respiratory Tract Infections, Skin Infections
· Treatment of early Lyme disease
Contraindications and cautions
· Allergy to cephalosporins or penicillins, renal failure, lactation, pregnancy
Headache, dizziness, lethargy, paresthesias, Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, abdominal pain, flatulence, pseudomembranous colitis, liver toxicity, Nephrotoxicity, bone marrow depression, decreased WBC, decreased platelets, decreased Hct, Ranging from rash to fever to anaphylaxis, serum sickness reaction, Pain, abscess at injection site, phlebitis, inflammation at IV site, Superinfections, disulfiram-like reaction with alcohol
· Increased nephrotoxicity with aminoglycosides
· Increased bleeding effects with oral anticoagulants
· Culture infection, arrange for sensitivity tests before and during therapy if expected response is not seen.
· Give oral drug with food to decrease GI upset and enhance absorption.
· Give oral drug to children who can swallow tablets; crushing the drug results in a bitter, unpleasant taste.
· Have vitamin K available in case hypoprothrombinemia occurs.
· Discontinue if hypersensitivity reaction occurs.