Brand Name: Alti-Ipratropium (CAN), Apo-Ipravent (CAN), Atrovent, Novo-Ipramide (CAN)
Pregnancy Category B
Drug classes: Anticholinergic, Antimuscarinic agent, Parasympatholytic
Anticholinergic, chemically related to atropine, which blocks vagally mediated reflexes by antagonizing the action of acetylcholine.
· Bronchodilator for maintenance treatment of bronchospasm associated with COPD (solution, aerosol)
· Symptomatic relief of rhinorrhea associated with perennial rhinitis, common cold (nasal spray)
· Contraindicated with hypersensitivity to atropine or its derivatives, acute episodes of bronchospasm.
· Use cautiously with narrow-angle glaucoma, prostatic hypertrophy, bladder neck obstruction, pregnancy, lactation.
Nervousness, dizziness, headache, fatigue, insomnia, blurred vision, Nausea, GI distress, dry mouth, Cough, exacerbation of symptoms, hoarseness, Palpitations, rash
· Protect solution for inhalation from light. Store unused vials in foil pouch.
· Ensure adequate hydration, provide environmental control (temperature) to prevent hyperpyrexia.
· Have patient void before taking medication to avoid urinary retention.
· Teach patient proper use of inhalator.