Brand Name: Prevacid
Pregnancy Category B
Drug classes: Antisecretory agent, Proton pump inhibitor
Gastric acid-pump inhibitor: suppresses gastric acid secretion by specific inhibition of the hydrogen/potassium ATPase enzyme system at the secretory surface of the gastric parietal cells; blocks the final step of acid production.
· Short-term treatment of active duodenal ulcer (<>
· Short-term treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease: severe erosive esophagitis; poorly responsive symptomatic gastroesophageal reflux disease (<>
· Treatment of pathological hypersecretory conditions (eg, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, multiple adenomas, systemic mastocytosis)--long-term therapy
· Maintenance therapy for healing of erosive esophagitis, duodenal ulcers
· Eradication of Helicobacter pylori infection in patients with active or recurrent duodenal ulcers in combination with clarithromycin and amoxicillin
· Short-term treatment of symptomatic gastroesophageal reflux disease and erosive esophagitis in children 1–11 yr
· Contraindicated with hypersensitivity to lansoprazole or any of its components.
Headache, dizziness, asthenia, vertigo, insomnia, anxiety, paresthesias, dream abnormalities, Rash, inflammation, urticaria, pruritus, alopecia, dry skin, acne,
Diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, constipation, dry mouth, URI symptoms, cough, epistaxis, Gastric cancer in preclinical studies, back pain, fever
· Decreased serum levels if taken concurrently with sucralfate
· Decreased serum levels of ketoconazole, theophylline when taken with lansoprazole
· Administer before meals. Caution patient to swallow capsules whole, not to open, chew, or crush. If patient has difficulty swallowing, open capsule and sprinkle granules on apple sauce, Ensure, yogurt, cottage cheese, or strained pears; for NG tube, mix granules from capsule with 40 mL apple juice and inject through tube, flush tube with additional apple juice; or granules for oral suspension can be added to 30 mL water, stir well, and have patient drink immediately.
· Arrange for further evaluation of patient after 4 wk of therapy for acute gastroreflux disorders if symptomatic improvement does not rule out gastric cancer, which did occur in preclinical studies.