Brand Name: Apo-Famotidine (CAN), Novo-Famotidine (CAN), Pepcid, Pepcid AC, Pepcid RPD
Pregnancy Category B
Drug class: Histamine 2 (H2) antagonist
Competitively blocks the action of histamine at the histamine (H2) receptors of the parietal cells of the stomach; inhibits basal gastric acid secretion and chemically induced gastric acid secretion.
· Short-term treatment and maintenance of duodenal ulcer
· Short-term treatment of benign gastric ulcer
· Treatment of pathologic hypersecretory conditions
· Short-term treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), esophagitis due to GERD
· Relief of symptoms of heartburn, acid indigestion, sour stomach (OTC)
· Allergy to famotidine; renal failure; pregnancy; lactation.
Headache, malaise, dizziness, somnolence, insomnia, Rash, Diarrhea, constipation, anorexia, abdominal pain, Muscle cramp, increase in total bilirubin, sexual impotence
· Administer drug at bedtime.
· Decrease doses with renal failure.
· Arrange for administration of concurrent antacid therapy to relieve pain.